Plagued with endless hiccups that never seem to go away? Well then pay attention because there are many helpful tips to cure these hiccups once and for all!
A hiccup is little more than a reflex and a fluctuation of the diaphragm. The cause for hiccups stems from the irritation of the vagus nerve or one of its branches that run to the abdomen from the brain. A hiccup is usually in reaction to digestive or breathing disturbances, so to combat a hiccup one must distract the nerve with another sensation or alter breathing patterns. Hiccups happen to everyone some time in their life and on average people hiccup 3 to 5 times a year; that’s a lot of hiccups! So what do we do to stop this inconvenience? Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind the next time you suffer from endless hiccups:
1. A spoonful of sugar helps the hiccups go down- swallow a teaspoon of sugar to overload the nerve endings on the back of the tongue
2. Fingers in the ears- the vagus nerve reaches into the auditory system so by stimulating the nerves in the ears you distract the vagus nerve and the hiccups stop
3. BOO!- being scared actually helps because it overwhelms the vagus nerve
4. H20- drink water or simply gargle water in order to interrupt the cycle
5. Tongue pulling- you may look ridiculous but try sticking out your tongue and pulling on it
6. Tickle!- being tickled can help alleviate hiccups, this involves tickling the roof of your mouth or just regular tickling
7. Hold your breath-seems obvious, but it actually does help; by controlling your breathing you can control your hiccups
8. Antacid- the magnesium in antacid can quiet the nerves and rid you of your hiccups
9. Slow down when eating!-hurrying up and eating allows you to take in large short breathes disrupting your diaphragm. Slow down and chew your food fully.
10. Stop eating so much- some believe hiccups are your body’s way of telling you to stop eating and let the food digest first. Try not to overload the stomach
Hope this helps you to avoid getting the hiccups, and if you do so happen to get a case of them, remember that these simple tricks can stop them in their tracks!